Press & Flyers
- Healio: Q&A: Steroids, not anti-TNF therapy increase risk for severe COVID-19 infection in IBD
- News-Medical.Net: Study reports on clinical course of COVID-19 and risk factors in IBD patients
- SCience Codex: New study sheds light on IBD patients with COVID
- UNC Health Newsroom: New Study Sheds Light on IBD Patients with Covid
- MedPage Today: Steroids — But Not Anti-TNF — Tied to Severe COVID-19 in IBD Patients
- Wired.com: Doctors Are Pooling Data to Help Understand Covid-19
- Helio.com: Q&A: New registry aims to report COVID-19 outcomes among IBD patients
- MDEdge.com: SECURE-IBD registry traces COVID-19 in patients with Crohn’s, colitis
- Monday night IBD on Twitter
Asked for his perspective, Ashwin Ananthakrishnan, MD, of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, who was not involved with the study, called it very important in two ways: ‘From the results standpoint, it is reassuring that immunosuppressive treatments, except for corticosteroids, did not contribute to more severe disease,’ Ananthakrishnan told MedPage Today. ‘This supports existing recommendations not to interrupt effective IBD treatments but to taper steroids when possible. But it is also an important testament to a successfully put-together international collaborative study in the setting of significant global urgency and uncertainty.’
The SECURE-IBD Registry has been cited in the following scholarly publications:
- Feldmann M, Maini RN, Woody JN, et al. Trials of anti-tumour necrosis factor therapy for COVID-19 are urgently needed. Lancet. 2020.
- Higgins PDR, Ng S, Danese S, Rao K. The Risk of SARS-CoV-2 in Immunosuppressed IBD Patients. Crohn’s & Colitis 360. 2020;2(2).
- Neurath MF. Covid-19 and immunomodulation in IBD. Gut. 2020.
- Queiroz NSF, Barros LL, de Azevedo MFC, et al. Management of inflammatory bowel disease patients in the COVID-19 pandemic era: a Brazilian tertiary referral center guidance. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2020;75:e1909.
- Quraishi MN, Cooney R, Brookes MJ, Sharma N. An urgent need to institute COVID-19 testing in patients with IBD experiencing flares. Frontline Gastroenterology. 2020:flgastro-2020-101477.
- Rubin DT, Feuerstein JD, Wang AY, Cohen RD. AGA Clinical Practice Update on Management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Expert Commentary. Gastroenterology. 2020.